fbpx

Stamp Duty Changes For Landlords

Stamp Duty Changes For Landlords

Hannah McCartan
22nd May 2016

Published on 22 May 2016

Hannah of https://www.mccartanlettings.co.uk/ explains how the new stamp duty changes affect landlords.

Stamp duty percentages for second properties changed on April 6th 2016. This directly affects landlords who are looking to purchase in the future as there s now a 3% surcharge on top of the original stamp duty price.

Whereas before there was no stamp duty payable for properties up to £125, 000 from now on all properties from £40, 000 and up to £125, 000 will be charged the 3% stamp duty and all properties £125, 000 and above will be charged the original 2% + the new 3% giving a total of 5% stamp duty on properties above £125, 000.
So this has a dramatic effect on a landlords cash flow when purchasing investment properties.

The flip side is it also affects landlords who wish to move home because their home is still essentially a second property they will have to pay an extra 3% stamp duty on their next home.
This could lock landlords into their original homes and they may not now be in a position to move due to these extra costs.

So when budgeting to buy your next investment property you must be looking at that extra 3% and making sure you have that extra cash available.

Other articles like this

Rental Tracker, November 2020
Rental Tracker, November 2020
The average rent in Swansea is currently £872pcm - up 0.23% from last month, and 8.32% from November 2019. Average Asking Rents in Swansea, November 2020 1 bed 2 bed 3 bed 4 bed 5 bed Houses £499pcm £637pcm £752pcm £882pcm £1028pcm Flats £578pcm £798pcm £801pcm £1159pcm £1899pcm All £557pcm £742pcm £770pcm £924pcm £1046pcm Difference ...
Landlord Update: Evictions, Where Do You Stand?
Landlord Update: Evictions, Where Do You Stand?
It has never been a more challenging time to be a landlord in Wales. This is McCartan's first webinar, and it will be an in-depth dive into the eviction process ...
Swansea Rents Rise 10%
Swansea Rents Rise 10%
Rents in Swansea have increased a staggering 9.99% between September and October this year, according to stats provided by property portal Zoopla.  This puts the average asking rent at £871pcm.  Rents jumped for the same ...
Report Maintenance