Landlord Guide – Getting Organised


It is really important to know your finances. Not having enough cash flow to deal with essential maintenance can be just as stressful as your tenant not paying rent.

We advise landlords to keep between £20-£50 aside each month from your rental income to cover for unexpected maintenance issues. It is always advisable to have at least 3 months’ mortgage payments in savings to cover for void periods (when the property is unoccupied).

All of our landlord fees and expected contractor costs are on our Fees page. At the property valuation meeting, we will be as clear as possible about costs in order for you to be able to plan ahead.


Do you have permission from your mortgage company to let your property? If not, you could be in breach of your terms and conditions. Switching to a specific buy-to-let mortgage might be a better option than facing penalties for breaching.

For confirmation of your properties achievable rental income, book a free property valuation with us. We can also give advice on other information required by your mortgage company.


If you own a leasehold property, you may need permission from the Freeholder/Superior Landlord or management company in order to let your property. Your leasehold agreement should tell you who to contact.

If there are restrictive clauses for your tenants, we will require a copy of the agreement to attach to the Tenancy Agreement. It is important that we make sure they are aware.


If you don’t inform your insurance company that you are letting your property, you may not be covered in the event of an accident, such as fire or flood.

It is important to have specialised landlord insurance. Contact Homelet or Eastside Insurance today for a competitive quote.


All rental income must be declared to HMRC. It is essential you take advice from a qualified accountant to ensure you understand how the new tax changes may affect how much tax you pay at the end of the year. Planning for tax is key to avoiding any unexpected costly bills.

Safety Requirements

Make sure your property is safe. You have a duty of care to your tenants, so treat them as your customers. Instruct only qualified, recommended contractors to undertake gas safety certificates and electrical certificates. If your property is furnished, ensure your appliances are PAT tested, and check that your soft furnishings meet with the fire resistant standards.

Please give us a call if you are unsure on how to go about getting your property safe and ready for letting. Alternatively, you can tick the relevant boxes in our Agency Agreement and we will make the necessary arrangements to ensure you are compliant with the law.

Proof Of Ownership & Photographic ID

We need to know that you are the legal owner of the property in order to draft the tenancy agreement. We will need valid photographic ID and proof of ownership – ideally the title deeds from the land registry, which can be obtained via the Land Registry.

Overseas Landlords

Going overseas for more than 6 consecutive months? You will need a special Landlords NRL number from HM Revenue & Customs to avoid paying tax at 20% of your gross rental income. Speak to us today for more information.

Mind Set

Detach yourself emotionally – which is easier said than done, we know! It is really important to treat letting your property as a business or financial investment for your future. It will be somebody else’s home.

Report Maintenance